Assistive Technology for Children with Learning Disability : Education Made More Fun and Enjoyable
The British Institute of Learning Disabilities (BILD) has simply but clearly defined a learning disability, as a generalized manner of labeling an individual in terms of developing several planning services and relevant discourses which will help the person with a learning difficulty to achieve maximum potentials. However, the complex and major problems in this contextual and sociological viewpoint is that labeling acts as a mere descriptive word; rather than a way to capture the inner depths of the persons with Learning Disability. In lieu of this scenario, it is best to say that the incredible conception of an Assistive Technology for Children with learning disability will somehow eliminate this traumatic and melancholic stigma in the minds and emotions of these special children. As a prelude, let us trace how the word learning disabilities was coined and became an official medical term for cognitive related problems and issues, especially in young children.
General Pathological Overview of Learning Disability in Children
The medical term Learning Disabilities was widely adopted in the British colony, after a heartwarming speech of Stephen Dorrell to Mencap, in the year 1996 who at that time was England’s health secretary. During those days, the medical term being widely used referring to people and children who have the cognitive inadequacy is : learning difficulties. In a universal scope and understanding of this debilitating neurological impairment, the widely recognized Warnock Committee, have specifically suggested that it must comprise and encompass specific and well-defined learning difficulties in young children, which tend to arise as a result of different triggering factors, that will make special educators resort to use the different Assistive Technology, in helping children cope up with learning disabilities.
Triggering Factors Why Some Children Develop A Learning Disability
Researches have initially revealed that a Learning Disability usually happens with the second child. Likewise, this impairment in children can be closely associated with genetic or family factors. Essentially, readers must also be aware of the other determinants of these disorders; so that it can be avoided in the soonest possible time. Above all of these, the use of Assistive Technology gadgets, strategical therapeutic and behavioral modification approaches will be eradicated. Here are some of the eliciting factors of Learning Disabilities in children:
1. Learning Disability happens when the Central Nervous System (CNS), the spinal cord and the brain do notwork or function properly as expected. As we all know, the CNS is the central control system of our visual, speech and psychomotor activities. Therefore, if something goes wrong with the child’s CNS the early manifestations of a Learning Disability is most likely to happen.
2. Pregnancy Period – During this very difficult stage of human development, the unborn child might contract deadly viral infections. This alarming condition occurs in the first 12 weeks of the prenatal stage. Furthermore, a mother’s unconscious exposure to harmful chemicals like lead can also be a reason why Learning Disabilities ensue in kids.
3. Premature and other after birth related factors. – Babies who were born prior to the normal delivery date are likely to be vulnerable or susceptible to Learning Disabilities Syndrome. Usually, after birth infections like meningitis and prolonged high fever; could be the culprits of cognitive deficiencies like LD in children.
The Application of Assistive Technology in Children With Learning Disability in a General, Educational Perspective And Setting
Assistive Technology tools for children with Learning Disabilities, can be so much advantageous in order to solidify and strengthen the children’s optimum cognitive learning skills to the fullest extent, giving them the opportunity to face present and future challenges before them with remarkable success. But, what do experts really mean when they speak of AT’s? By definition, these are actually user-friendly gadgets for these special children to make learning much easier for them, having been born with cognitive defects and psychomotor problems.
In the light of all these diverse and enormous benefits of Assistive Technology apparatuses for children with LD, the most amazing part of this cognitive and physical enhancement tools is that it allows the students to explore, develop and to be able to work on existing challenges, by utilizing their untapped and inherent abilities. Thus, they will be able to function as normally as possible, like normal children similar to their chronological age. Best of all, these remarkable gadgets combine both cognitive and physical developments in general.
What Parents Should Do With Assistive Technology Gadgets?
On the part of their lovable and ever-supportive parents, children will definitely have the most perfect time in the world; to enjoy learning at their own pace and time. But, this can be easily attainable if these significant people will learn more about these creative and beneficial gizmos to simplify and explain the uses of these apparatuses to their children through technical manipulation; to achieve the desired objectives in the easiest and enjoyable means.
Assistive Technology For Children With Learning Disabilities Explained
Assistive Technology for children with LD is any practical device which benefits the child to effectively compensate, bypass or work around their specific problems. To prove their enormous advantages, there were scientific studies in the past decades which had indicated the efficacy of these things in addressing these problems with positive outcomes, as they are being applied for long-term use.
Can LD Ailments Be Cured Through AT Gadgets?
Nevertheless, readers and parents of children with LD must always have in mind that these devices cannot literally cure the ailment of Learning Disabilities. But, these learning tools will help your children reach the peak of their potentials through overcoming physical difficulties and finding their areas of strengths. A classic example of this, is the use of audio books to help children with poor reading skills. Through these modernized audio books, children with LD in reading skills will compensate their weakness in no time at all by the help of remedial software and instructions. Though they are not really categorically classified as “curing gadgets”, they can undoubtedly add up to the children’s self-reliance and independent attitude.
What Are Examples of Assistive Technology Employed By Children With Learning Disability Syndrome?
Assistive Technology gadgets are mainly composed of hardware and software. Meanwhile, the best examples of these exemplary technological innovations are:
- Alternative Keyboards – These keyboards are especially programmable and having overlays so that this particular AT can be customized like conventional computer keyboard. In terms of benefit, it helps the reduction of input choices and develop the comprehension skills of children with LD
- Electronic Math Worksheets – are mathematical software programs which aid children with LD, to align, organize and solve mathematical problems through a computer screen. Moreover, through their speech synthesizer it can help those students to recognize numbers correctly when displayed on a computer monitor
- Speech recognition program – This computer program works with a word processor. The main feature of this device is that young users with LD can dictate a word using the gadget’s built-in microphone. Afterwards, the said or spoken word appears immediately on the computer screen as a text form. In effect, this particular type of AT can develop his writing skills with utmost accuracy
In conclusion, Assistive Technology gadgets are extremely awesome in terms of developing and overcoming specific learning skills difficulty. Of course, to get the best results from these terrific learning devices for children with LD, parents must motivate and encourage the importance of these essential skills with LOVE and PATIENCE.