Pomegranate: Take a Look at the Benefits of the Mythical Fruit
Pomegranate is a delicious fruit native to Pakistan, Iran, northern India, and Afghanistan. It is also cultivated in the Caucasus and the Mediterranean regions, and some parts of the Asia. Pomegranate seeds and drink have rich food values. For this reason, it is very much acceptable among health conscious people. The nutrient values have earned this fruit some mythical citations too. The Persians believe it to be the fruit plucked by Eve in the Garden of Eden, Egyptians believed it to be capable of giving eternal life, Greeks break open it in wedding ceremonies believing it to be symbol of good tidings, and Chinese eat its seeds for good luck.
However, apart from the mythical values, pomegranate has nutritional values and a number of solid health benefits too, for which it is considered as a super food.
Nutrients found in Pomegranate:
Pomegranate is a good source of sugars, carbohydrate, B-complex Vitamins, Vitamin-C, Calcium, Magnesium, etc. It is high in Potassium. In addition, organic pomegranates are rich with anti-oxidants, a combination of enzymes and vitamins.
Health Benefits of Pomegranate:
Pomegranates can bring several beneficial effects on health. Just like red wine and green tea, it is loaded with anti-oxidants. It is also a good source of Potassium and Vitamin-C. All of these agents are beneficial for:
• Fighting breast cancer: without doing any harm to the healthy cells, its juice can destroy breast cancer cells.
• Preventing osteoarthritis: the anti-oxidants in pomegranate are very effective in preventing cartilage deterioration.
• Protecting the arteries: It does not let plaque to be built up in the arteries and can heal previous buildup of plaque.
• Dental protection: Drinking pomegranate juices regularly helps in protecting teeth from dental plaque.
• Lowering blood pressure: Drinking juices regularly can help in lowering systolic pressure by 5%.
• Lowering cholesterol: It is very good in raising the level of good cholesterol and keeping down the level of bad cholesterol.
• Lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
• Slowing down prostate cancer: It can slow down the growth of prostate cancer cells by keeping the PSA level stable.
Beauty Benefits of Pomegranate:
Pomegranate contains properties that are very good for the health of skin. Some known beauty benefits of pomegranate are:
• Preventing and curing acne: Hormonal imbalance or digestive problems are the main reasons of acne. Pomegranate contains some agents that eliminate the root cause of acne by fixing digestive problems. To get favorable result, you just need to apply pomegranate extract or juice on the affected areas.
• Preventing aging process: Pomegranate juice is a great remedy to heal the skin damages. It also prevents the breakdown of collagen fiber and thus protects the skin from developing wrinkles.
• Repairing cuts and scrapes of skin: The oil extracted from pomegranate seeds has the power to repair the cuts and breaks on the skin keeping intact the smoothness.
To get the ultimate benefits, pomegranate must be eaten when its seeds are at their freshest and juiciest. Some people spit out the seeds but many beneficial fibers can be found inside the seeds. The fruit can be eaten by making juices or with fruit salad.